Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Life With Diabetes: Interview With Paula Deen

From Cooking With Paula Deen, May/June 2012
Q: What first went through your mind when you were diagnosed, and why did you wait so long to announce it to your fans?
A: Any diagnosis from a doctor takes a while to set in. You know, you have to learn how to live with it. I had agoraphobia for 20 years until I was able to overcome it, so I felt pretty good that it only took 2 1/2 years to deal with this new diagnosis. I talked with Michael, Jamie, Bobby, my doctor, and those close to me first. But for my fans, I wanted to bring them a solution, not just walk out and say, "Hey y'all, I have diabetes." When I got to know the folks at Novo Nordisk and we developed Diabetes in a New Light, I knew that I had a great solution to share with my fans.
Q: So many have accused you of being of a hypocrite because you promote "over-the-top" recipes. What would you like to say to those critics?
A: I don't have anything to my critics, just to my fans, who have been amazing. To them I say, "I love y'all so much." My "over-the-top" recipes have never been meant to be eaten every day, and for the most I talk about how they should be enjoyed at special occasions or in moderation. After all, when Jamie was little and allergic to peanuts, I wouldn't send him over to a friend's house and tell the parent that their kid couldn't eat peanuts. We all have to measure what we eat for our own diet because every one of us is different.
Q: How are the recipes in your magazine going to change?
A: I am going to continue the Southern cooking traditions that my family has passed down to me and still cook that comfort food that we all love. But I am going to add versions of the recipes so those who need something a little different can still enjoy them. Look at the great versions of my recipes that Bobby has created in his magazine column, Bobby Lightens It Up, and is sharing on his show, Not My Mama's Meals. Here's the thing, I've always encouraged moderation. And for those special events like holiday parties or family reunions when you want a showstopping recipe, Cooking With Paula Deen will give you plenty of options for the occasion.
Q: You have had such a positive attitude in the midst of the press storm. What has been most disappointing or bothersome since your diagnosis?
A: I've lived my life overcoming challenges and have seen how that has inspired my boys, Michael, and my fans. I'm really not disappointed, but actually happy that I have lived long enough to deal with issues like my health and similar challenges, which millions of Americans face daily. I hope I can inspire these folks to move their lives forward.
Q: How have you changed your lifestyle since your diagnosis?
A: My lifestyle, like everyone else's changes constantly, and I work with my doctor to ensure that I stay healthy. I have always eaten in moderation, but you know, people see me on TV two or three times a day cooking all these wonderfully Southern, fattening dishes. In reality, that's only 30 days out of 365, and it's for entertainment. People have to responsible for themselves.
Q: Since you'll still offer readers decadent recipes for entertaining and special occasions, where in the magazine are readers likely to find recipes more wholesome and light?
A: You'll find my lighter recipes throughout the magazine. The column Bobby Lightens It Up shares satisfying healthier versions of traditional dishes, while sections like Paula's Weekly Five and Jamie's Family Table offer wholesome recipes for ordinary days, when it's important to eat good food that tastes great, too.
Richard E. Ehle, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Diabetic Foot Doctor in CT
Podiatrist in Bristol, CT
Visit our website, friend and like our page on Facebook, and follow our tweets on Twitter
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment