Monday, August 20, 2012

Questions Every Diabetic Should Ask

Getting a diagnosis of any kind is difficult to handle, especially diabetes. Diabetes can be a life-long disease with many complications and problems, so having the right information from the beginning is key to understanding how your disease works. Here is a list of questions you should ask your endocrinologist or podiatrist when you receive a diagnosis of diabetes.
What is diabetes?
Do I have Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes?
Why does it matter if I have Type 1 or Type 2?
What is a normal blood sugar level?
What are the symptoms of diabetes?
How can I manage my diabetes?
What medications will I have to take?
How do I inject insulin?
What is a glucometer and how do I use it?
How often will I need to check my blood sugar?
How do I make checking my blood sugar less painful?
What do I do if my blood sugar is high?
What do I do if my blood sugar is low?
What are the signs of low blood sugar?
How is low blood sugar dangerous?
What should I do if I have signs of low blood sugar?
What kind of food can I eat now that I have diabetes?
How do I count carbohydrates?
What is insulin?
What is glucagon and how do I use it?
Can diabetes be cured?
Why do I need to lose weight if I have Type 2 diabetes?
How do I use an insulin pen?
What size needle should I use to inject insulin?
How do I know how much insulin to use?
Should I use an insulin pump?
How do I calculate how many carbohydrates I've eaten?
Why is exercise important for diabetics?
How do I manage my diabetes if i get sick?
Will my medication and insulin requirements change?
What is a diabetes educator?
What are some diabetic resources I can use to find out more about my disease?
How can a nutritionist help me manage my diabetes?
What are the complications I can develop as a diabetic?
Why do diabetics lose their feet or toes?
How does diabetes cause kidney failure?
Why do some diabetics go blind?
Why are diabetics at higher risk for heart attack and stroke?
What can I do to decrease my risk for complications?
If you are a diabetic and do not currently see a podiatrist, call our Bristol office to make an appointment.
Richard E. Ehle, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Diabetic Foot Care in CT
Podiatrist in Bristol, CT
Visit our website, friend and like our page on Facebook, and follow my tweets on Twitter.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment