Monday, July 30, 2012

10 Tips For Diabetics in the Summer

We recommend diabetics take good care of their feet 365 days, all year, every year. But summertime can be a time when people throw caution to the wind and sometimes forget the importance of taking care of their lower appendages. Everyone wants to have fun in the sun and go barefoot, but this combination can cause serious risks and problems for diabetics.
Here are some tips I recommend to all of my diabetics in our Bristol office:
1. Keep your feet dry and clean.
2. Keep your toenails trimmed.
3. Consider quitting smoking.
4. Check the condition of your feet everyday.
5. Never walk barefoot (I know, difficult in the summer. You'll thank us, I promise!)
6. Visit a podiatrist regularly.
7. Try walking for at least 15 minutes a day.
8. Control your blood sugar so you do not get neuropathy.
9. Apply lotion to your feet and toes to avoid sunburns.
10. Protect your feet with proper shoes. That means no flip-flops.
If you are a diabetic and do not currently see a podiatrist, call our Bristol office to make an appointment.
Richard E. Ehle, DPM
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Diabetic Foot Care in CT
Podiatrist in Bristol, CT
Visit our website, friend and like our page on Facebook, and follow my tweets on Twitter.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I am diabetic and I never knew that heat wave is damaging enough for me until I read this article. Now I know I need to be more cautious.

    ReplyDelete